1. Download the Brother Quick Setup Guide here and complete steps 1-9.
2. For the steps below you will need:
- Wi-Fi network name
- Wi-Fi network username (User ID)
- Wi-Fi network password (Network Key)
3. Press the [Menu] button.
4. Use the [▲] and [▼] buttons to select WLAN > WLAN (On/Off) > On in the settings menu. Press [OK].
5. Use the [▲] and [▼] buttons to select WLAN > Infra Manual Setting in the settings menu. Press [OK].
6. Your printer will search for available Wi-Fi networks. Remember, your printer and iPad will need to be on the same network.
7. Use the [▲] and [▼] buttons to select your desired network. Press[OK].
Entry of both your username and password is done via printer’s IP address in a web browser…
8. Use the [▲] and [▼] buttons to select WLAN > WLAN Status > Infrastructure Mode in the settings menu. Press [OK]. You will be able to recover the printer’s IP address here (eg: 192.168.20.5).
It may be necessary to connect the printer to a wireless device (e.g. a laptop) via Wireless Direct, and access the configuration home page via it’s Wireless Direct IP address. More info on Wireless Direct can be found on page 23 of this help document.
9. Use your web browser to go to this IP address. The QL-820NWB configuration home page will appear. Navigate to Network (top tab) > Wireless (top tab) > Wireless (Enterprise) (Sidebar menu).
10. Enter your credentials and hit “Submit”.
11. If it connects, on the printer it will say “Connected!” Press [OK]. If it does not connect, repeat steps 5 through 10.
12. On the printer, press the [↩] button to return to the main screen. You should see the Wi-Fi icon in the top right.
13. The print feature is compatible with all Visitor Types (including Sign in Only and Sign out Only). It needs to be turned on in the VPass admin, Visitor Types page – more information available here:
14. On the iPad ensure that you have the latest version of VPass 2 installed (v1.3+).
15. On the iPad, go to the VPass App home screen and touch anywhere and hold for 10 seconds.
16. The print setup screen appears. Touch Select Printer.
17. Select Brother QL-820NWB.
18. Touch Close.
19. When the visitor signs in and out of one of the visitor types configured to use the printer, they would fill out any forms and signature page as normal. At the very end they will come to this screen (below) with a message saying printing is underway. The badge should print within 20 seconds.
20. The printed badge will print the Date, Time, Visitor Name, Organisation Name, Visitor Type and Custom Field of your choice from the drop down options. For Auto Generated Visitor Types a Badge Number is also added in the bottom right.
21. If you get high volumes of sign ins at certain periods, it may be beneficial to check the printer is configured to use IPv6. This will greatly improve print times.
For configuration instructions, please refer to this article.