In order to troubleshoot Brother printer connectivity issues, it is often worthwhile to test the printer (and iPad) on a different network to give an indication of where the issue lies.
To hotspot your QL-720NW printer:
1. Use the USB cable to connect it to a PC.
2. Then on the printer’s install CD there should be a utility called BRAdmin Light.
3. If you open this up and select the device in the list, you will then be able to browse the device’ home page (printer & globe icon button).
4. On that page, select Network Configuration > Configure Wireless > Browse Wireless Network Name (SSID). Select your hotspot network from the list.
5. Ensure the iPad has the printer selected (Step 7 onwards in this help article).
If you are now be able to print from the VPass App, it may indicate there are some network restrictions that are preventing you from doing so from the local network.
To hotspot your QL-820NWB printer:
1. Ensure the printer is switched on and paper is loaded.
2. Press the [Menu] and navigate to the Information tab (using the ▲/▼ arrows and the [OK] button)
3. Under Information, select Print Configuration
4. Select All and then select Start
5. Several sheets will print out. Near the end, there should be a listed item called “IP Gateway”. The printer’s IP address is listed here.
6. Enter this into your browser. The printer’s page should appear. Here select the Network tab > Wireless (top bar) > Wireless Personal > Browse Wireless Network Name (SSID). Select your hotspot network from the list.